Third Place Winner: Olarn Tonverapongsiri's Bacon and Fried Egg Salad with Thai Dressing
10 strips of bacon
3-4 large eggs
2 fresh Thai chilies
5 cilantro stems
8 mint leaves
1 Roma tomato
2 or 3 green lettuce leaves
2 cups of spring mix greens
2 tbsp of finely sliced red onion
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp thin soy sauce (or fish sauce)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil for deep-frying
1. Cut bacon strips in halves and break eggs into a bowl.
2. Peel red onion, remove chili stems, cut cilantro and mint, wash and dry spring mix greens. Slice onions and chilies finely, pick cilantro leaves from stem. Then prepare dressing by mixing lime juice, thin soy sauce (or fish sauce), sugar, and sliced chilies in a mixing bowl.
3. Cut bacon into strips of about 1-2" length. Cook the bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel, and set aside. Discard oil.
4. Heat about 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in a pan on medium to high heat. When oil is hot, pour the eggs into the center of the oil, and fry them until bubbly and crisp. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
5. Place spring mix greens and red onion on the serving plate. Cut the fried eggs into quarters and arrange on the spring mix greens. Place bacon on top of the fried eggs, and sprinkle with cilantro and mint leaves. Decorate with sliced Roma tomato and green lettuce leaves.
6. Serve the salad with dressing, either pour on the salad or serve it in a separate bowl.